As you may know, I really do like a good resource that helps to put the Word of God into perspective and give me a new appreciation for Him. I’ve been curious about some of Rose Publishing’s charts and they have graciously given me the privilege of doing a review of their Rose Book of Bible Charts, Maps and Time Lines.
This is based off of a PDF version of their 10th Anniversary Edition that I received from Rose Publishing for the purposes of doing this review. Since this is a PDF that I’m reviewing, unfortunately, I cannot give an honest review of the quality of the printing and binding of this item. So, this review will be based off of the digital content only.
If I get my hands on a physical copy, I will then do an updated review an include information of how well it is made and how it physically looks.
In full disclosure, I was not required or requested by Rose Publishing to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s
16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
**See all sections below for full detailed review**
DESCRIPTION OF THIS BOOK
Type of Book: Reference
Publisher: Rose Publishing
Publication Date: 2015
ISBN-13 of Book Reviewed: 1-59636-022-4
Price: At the time of writing this, you can get this book new from Amazon.com for $16.98 (suggested retail is $29.99 per the publisher) http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Book-Bible-Charts-Lines/dp/1596360224/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439450936&sr=8-1&keywords=1596360224
- Spiral Bound – this will help the book to lay flat so photocopies can be made. With the purchase of this book, the publisher allows for up to 300 copies per original document for a single church.
- Dimensions: 11 1/4″ x 9 1/2″ x 1″ with two fold out charts (Bible Time Line and Jesus’ Genealogy) that are 24″ wide.
- Approximate weight: unknown
- Number of Pages: 230
Below are some pictures that were sent to me from Rose Publishing. These are not very high quality, but at least give you a general idea on how the layout is done on some of the charts and sections.
Typeface and Print:
OK, this is the part where I get to tell you about how I like or dislike this book in a detailed manner.
MY OVERVIEW OF ENTIRE BOOK:
Ease of Use:
Study Tools Helpful & Informative:
Does Commentary Convey Biblical Truth:
Durability of Book:
MY CHRISTIAN REVIEWER RATINGS:
Below, we have the overall ratings that I would give to this particular book with a 1 to 10 range.
Overall Rating: 9.4 out of 10
From the publisher’s website: Rose Bible Reference resources help believers to love God by deepening their understanding of who God is. Packed with charts, timelines, and simple summaries, Rose products are designed to make the Bible and its teachings easy to understand. Our prayer is that as readers continue to dive into the Word of God their love for the Lord will deepen as they gain understanding. Rose Publishing is based in Torrance, CA.
FULL CONTENT REVIEW:
In this section, I will list out each of the different chart sections along with my comments for each. It’s a lot to read, but if you are interested in specific sections, you can look at whatever piques your interest.
There are two foldouts that come with this reference book. I can’t personally attest to the size or physical quality of them; however the contents of them are very nice.
Bible Overview (pages 6-17)
- Archaeological Find (lists what the discovery is)
- Description of the Find (gives a description of the discovery)
- Importance of the Find (gives a connection to actual scriptures that relate to this discovery)
- Archaeological Find: In 2005, archaeologists unearthed the steps of the Pool of Siloam (picture provided in the 2nd column) where Jesus sent a blind man to be healed as recorded in John 9
- Description of the Find: they have a nice full color picture of the unearthed steps to the pool.
- Importance of the Find: Some scholars had denied that the Pool of Siloam existed in Jesus’ day because the traditional location for the pool dates back only to the 5th century AD. However, the recently discovered Pool of Siloam, less than 200 yards from the traditional location, dates back to the 1st century BC and was used during Jesus’ time.
Old Testament (page 73)
- Commandment (what the commandment is)
- Bible Example (gives a Biblical example referencing the commandment)
- Modern Example (gives an example of how we can obey each commandment.
- Prophets – with who the prophet is, who they prophesied to, what their estimated dates were and where their home or location was.
- Kings – this is divided into the United Kingdom, The Northern Divided Kingdom and the Southern Divided Kingdom and gives the name of the king, their evaluation (good or bad), their years of reign, how they died and then the scripture reference for each of them.
- Kings & Prophets timeline – I think this is my favorite portion because it very nicely lays out when the kings ruled and which prophets were around during their reign to give some influence to the different kings. I did a short study on Josiah a year or so ago and seeing the relation of Josiah to Zephaniah was personally nice for me.
- Then: Only priests were allowed to enter the Holy Place. They did this daily.
- Now: Believers in Jesus have been made holy through Jesus’ sacrifice and can go directly to God (Ex 29-30; Heb 9-10)