Disclaimer: There is a brief skit that I showed (time code 33:07) during this class from an old Saturday Night Live show that I used to demonstrate a point. The skit was shown for making that point only. If you wish to watch it you can at the link below. If you don’t want to or feel offended, then by all means, please do not watch it.
Topics Covered for Week 1:
- A very basic explanation of how we got some of our English translations
- Some of the reasons there are so many translations.
- Cultural differences between now and when the different books of the Bible were written
- Translation differences relating to culture
Homework Assignment for Week 1:
Read Philippians chapter 1 and do the observation steps using the Precept guide (Appendix 1 – see resources below) and the Camden Inductive marking guide (Appendix 4 – see resources below). Feel free to use my Observation Quick Tips as well if you find it helpful (also in the resources below).
Resources for Week 1:
- Appendix 1: Precept Ministries overview of the Inductive Method (you can get it absolutely free but currently have to add it to your cart and checkout): http://store.precept.org/By-Topic/getting-started/Guide-to-Inductive-Bible-Study-Free-Download.html
- Observation Quick Tips (a reference tool I created to help people get ideas during the observations steps): https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxC4RI5Xr01xfkRXd3JmN0xwRFE0aEhvVGVnSnM3b3lrN2tKT1ZBWkdhblVLcmhHYm9ubVk&usp=sharing
- Appendix 4: Example Inductive Markings from the precept group at Precept Camden (very helpful guide they did giving some example marks that you can use for the inductive method): https://preceptcamden.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/a-to-z-kws-with-watermark.pdf